Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hard to Read...

Hey Everyone! I was starting to think that I was posting a little too much on here...and I certainly don't want to become annoying. However, I am a little lonely I will admit and it is so nice to have this place to post my thoughts and have other people who understand read them! I have to thank Jesse and Missy for creating this blog and allowing me an outlet.

What I wanted to discuss was the book. I was able to sit down and actually read the book the other day. After about 2 pieces in, I was finding it very difficult. I found myself getting really choked up. I don't know if it is because I know how each and everyone of these women feel or just because I miss my husband terribly? I just wondered if any of the other writers find it hard to read each individual piece? They are all amazing, and touch me deeply.

2 comments:

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Hi Casey! I also read the book in sections for a few reasons--because the content is so emotionally moving, and because it's much nicer to digest and appreciate the pieces that way.

I have given the book to several women, and a couple of them said they couldn't finish it because it was too upsetting. One being my mother--she couldn't not relate to the mothers with sons and daughters in the military (despite having none in the service) and it made her really upset. A sign of a good book for sure, and definitely a sign that it is a book that needs to be read.

I cannot imagine anyone thinking you post too much! I meant to comment sooner but I've not been feeling well lately. However, a lack of comments does not at all reflect a lack of readers.

Have you read the blog Proud Guard Wife?
http://www.proudguardwife.blogspot.com/

You probably have, but am including it anyway. The author is such a lovely woman, and if anyone can understand what you're going through it is her (in addition to Jes, etc. of course).

Take care, Courtney

Jes said...

Each section is different and the first section, after the Mary Jony piece, is all about giving up the son, daughter, husband, etc...to war. It is different for everyone, but if you look at it in sections, that this section is going to address X and another section is going to focus on Z, it might be easier. Not all of the sections are so intensely emotional as the one you are stuck on. Read Elizabeth Smith's piece, Korea Korea. She is now in her 70s and it is really refreshing to look back on that story and read about love. J