Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bombshell Party

I had this idea to have a celebration at the pub where my guy and I first started to "get together." The pub is special to me, I just love the place. I figured I would put a few fliers up and sell books. I wanted to make some money for Fisher House and Soldier's Angels, so I came up with an idea... Missy sent me some Bombshell dog tags... I bought party favor tins, silk rosepetals and made little special tag tins to sell. I sold them for 5 bucks, although they sure could have gone higher, and I sold a book and a tin for 15.00, that way money could go to both Fisher House and Soldier's Angels. BRILLIANT! Well, I wanted to raffle something, but didn't know how to do it. My friend Kaycee made raffle tickets and she let me know that when people fill out names, you collect their address if you want to do a mailing list. (hmmm, didn't think of that). I raffled off a thong that has the pink grenade and the words "Sergeant Major" printed on it. You can find the link to that site at the Bombshelter made page or look to my cafepress link on this site. Also, Although I didn't do it last night, I was offered to collect a dollar a song for a charity on Karaoke night. She suggested doing a 50:50 raffle, that way you don't have to start with a seed item and you still get to collect money for charity! WOW, I just never thought I could do something so simple and fun and help others at the same time!

There were a lot off ideas swimming in my head and I wanted to make money for charity, raise awareness about the homefront and sell 'Bombshells' books. Guess what! We should all be having those parties. It was so much fun! I did it in a bar, but could have been a church social. It could have just as easily been at a house party or a farmer's market. I could really see it happening at churches.... without the thong of course-
People came over and talked about their military backgrounds and it made for thought provoking conversations! One guy was being deployed in two weeks. It was great for non military people to hear from military people, not to talk politics, but to hear humanity. It was great.... A book party that raises awareness about the homefront and raises cash for Fisher House and Soldier's Angels. WOW, it was great. I am doing another one at Peet's Coffee in Vacaville this Wednesday from 5-8.
Peet's is giving a free drink if you come in between those hours! WOW

2 comments:

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Your fundraising party sounded like so much fun! Thanks for posting about it. :)

"I wanted to make money for charity, raise awareness about the homefront and sell 'Bombshells' books. Guess what! We should all be having those parties. It was so much fun! I did it in a bar, but could have been a church social. It could have just as easily been at a house party or a farmer's market."

This is a great idea. If it is okay with you, I'd love to assist you in any way I can (I'm in Seattle, but am happy to travel on west coast). I've spent the past 5+ years learning everything I could about running a non-profit (and am good at organizing anything) but it was always with cats & cat rescue. Then I joined SA (which I love!) and my interest is in supporting our military etc. I'm definitely a civilian who has a lot to learn, but despite this am very interested in assisting someone else with their project. :) Anyway, I just thought I'd throw this out there--feel free to contact me if you’d like. :) Take care, Courtney

Jes said...

Courtney, you have my attention. Let's work on this. Missy has ideas too! My email is jloren4322 at g mail. The usual format, just written like that to make it harder for spam. Anyway, I can travel your way in June. Weekends are good too! JL

I am good at trying out ideas and such, and I am excited about this one! JL