Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I'm Sending Too Much!

Quick somebody stop me! Rumor has it, I am sending my husband too much stuff! It has almost become an addiction for me. Everytime I go into a store all I do is look for things I can buy him and send him, whether it be snacks, bathroom items, or magazines and books. My frivolous sending has turned him into a packrat, with 4 bags of sunflower seeds hidden in his locker, and candy bars here and there. He even has numorous stacks of books he probably won't even read.

I don't know why I feel this need to constantly send him goodies. I think it makes me feel better about our situation. The more comforts from home he has the better he will feel...that is my impression.

He told me a few weeks ago that sometimes when the mail comes in, some of his friends think a package is for them, but it always ends up being for him. He said it makes him feel bad. I could understand this, so I started sending packages to his friends as well! I even send packages to his friends who are now on other orders and other ships!

I was just wondering if I'm nuts or if anyone else sends countless flatrate boxes full of who knows what??

3 comments:

Jes said...

Casey, I don't think you are nuts. If you were not making your rent or housepayment, and you didn't have food, then maybe..... But if it makes you feel like you are doing everything, then keep doing it. Being at peace and giving to others is a good thing. OK. My aunt's services are Friday- J

Anonymous said...

Hi Casey,
It's funny you mention this... I need to write my Sept column for the paper and I was thinking of writing about the subject of: "this war is costing so much, not the billions daily the government is paying, but for me personally, sending all those care packages."

I think sending carepackages is an active way for us to nuture our relationships and express our love, because we are otherwise cut off from traditional forms of showing affection. Its sort of a need. If it helps you cope and feel connected, and its not a harmful obsession that is eroding your savings or preventing you from paying bills, or having a negative affect on your husband (when Mike was in boot camp, the guys who received a lot of mail were always "smoked" i.e., forced to do extra pushups, etc.) then go for it.

When I choose stuff to send, I always assume that my brother will be sharing it with his four tent mates -- snacks, dvds, Starbucks coffee.

You're concern is interesting. I guess its one more example of "no good deed goes unpunished", eh?
Best,
Missy

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Casey, I agree with Jes--my heart went out to you when I read your blog entry!

Jes--I am so sorry to learn of your Aunt's passing. I have been really out of touch lately. :(