Sunday, April 15, 2007

AMAZON REVIEW!!!!!

Bombshells: War Stories and Poems by Women on the Homefront (Paperback)
by Missy Martin (Editor), Jesse Loren (Editor)
REVIEW

A Collective Spiritual Consciousness about War and the Women left at Home! , April 13, 2007
Reviewer: W. H. McDonald Jr. "The Military Writer's Society of America / Author of: A Spiritual Warrior's Journey" - See all my reviews

Rarely does an anthology contain such nuggets of wisdom, and pain as does this wonderfully edited collection of stories and poems by the women who are left behind at home during war. The book`s cover shows the image of a pink hand grenade that jumps out at you. The title is just as explosive, "Bombshells: War Stories and Poems by Women on the Homefront". Inside the book is even better and is filled with stories, essays and poems that will rip and shred your very soul! It is one of the most gripping books related to war that I have read.

The book was put together and edited by Missy Martin and Jesse Loren. It is a brilliantly done. The placement of the poems and stories is thought out well and it seems that the emotional energy just keeps building throughout the entire book. It is one of those books that you cannot stop reading.

There are many different and diverse voices contained in the book, which reflects again, some good editing choices. The book brings war into another level of thinking. War is not often viewed from the point of view of those who were left at home waiting for their loved ones to return; I often wondered what that would feel like when I was in Vietnam. When my own son was in the Gulf War in Iraq and I did not know his daily status, it almost drove me insane with worry. It hurts worse then being in combat yourself!

This book is an honest, compelling look at what these women went through while waiting fro their warriors to return. You cannot read this book without feeling your heart rip and break apart with their pain. This book transcends war -it is about people!

The Military Writer's Society of America gives this book its highest rating of FIVE STARS! It is a must read book! I give this my personal recommendation and fullest endorsement!

Note:
A portion of the sales from this book is donated to "The Fisher House Foundation". That foundation builds "comfort homes" on or near active military and Veteran Affairs medical facilities. The houses are provided for free for injured soldiers who must be close by for treatment. It is also open to their families.

2 comments:

Cat is my co-pilot said...

Tracy, I couldn't agree with you more!! :D It's great that Amazon.com gave it an accurate review. I'm constantly recommending this book (although I like it too much to lend it to people whose addresses I don't know by heart...!).

Thank you, Jes & Missy!

Jes said...

Thank You Bill! I am so thrilled about the review. I hope all of these voices can bring war to a new level of thinking. Thank YOU!